While I was writing the last post I heard Hannah cough in her room while napping but then heard nothing after that. Normally I would go in and check but since she didn't vomit last night and her medicine seemed to be doing the trick, I decided to not go in her room. The time must have been 3:20 or so. At 3:30 I closed my computer and went in to wake her up because it was time to pick Blaine up from school. When I walked in her room something just wasn't right. First, I noticed that she was on her back and she never sleeps on her back so I panicked and then as I got closer I saw that she had thrown up. There was so much of it. It was on her face, covering her neck, on her shirt, all around her head and in her hair.
She looked lifeless and I was scared to death.
I screamed her name. She didn't respond. Then I shook her leg. Nothing.
I hit her chest with my hand a few times and her eyes darted open at last. She gasped and coughed and I pushed her over on her right side. She cried a little bit and then just lay there. I called David, told him what happened and asked him to call Hawthorne to let them know that I was running late.
As soon as I hung up she started sobbing and began saying 'Mama' over and over again. I picked her up and moved her to the tub where I picked chunks of undigested breakfast and lunch foods off her body and out of her hair and took her clothes off. During her bath she was lethargic and sad. When I got her out we sat on her bedroom floor and like clockwork, as it has been for the last two weeks, she started vomiting again. This went on and on until she had puked up everything. After another bath it was time to go get Blaine.
I put her in the car and wrapped a towel around her waist. When we were a little over halfway to B's school I hear her gag and then cough and then it started again. More vomiting. I quickly tried to think of the closest fire station because I was worried that she was choking but then heard her crying so just gunned it to our destination. Before we arrived she threw up once more and then when I went to get her out she was a total mess. What I should have done was put a huge bib on her because the towel did little to nothing to protect her or her car seat from the wrath of her vomit. Yuck.
I stripped her in the parking lot, changed her, cleaned up as much as I could and went in to get Blaine. I had a few things to drop off and notes to collect and B saw me from his classroom. I heard him tell his teacher that his "Mama" was there and he went through his pick-up-routine like a champ while I tended to my business. He came out of his door into the lobby and I greeted him but not on my knees with open arms like normal.
Blaine: Mama, why do you have your mad face on?
M: Oh, I'm not mad Baby.
B: Then why do you have your mad face on?
M: This is not my mad face. This is my sad face...
B: Why, Mama? What's wrong?
M: Baby, Hannah's still sick and she threw up in the car on the way here. It's a big mess.
B: Pooor Hanny! I think you should call the doctor.
My sweet, kind-hearted, concerned little Mister. I love him. He talked to HG all the way home trying to hide his snack from her because I wouldn't let her eat or drink anything. He was a big help when we got home and she started puking again. He brought me paper towels and "chemicals" (floor cleaner) to clean up and reminded me that I should call the doctor.
After her first middle-of-the-day vomiting session ended she was hungry and thirsty and mad that I wouldn't give her anything. To appease her I held her... while I made dinner. Thank goodness for Curious George who entertained my Mister during HG's ordeal.
HG then ate a huge dinner and seems fine now. D called Dr. Siddiqui, who happened to be on call tonight, and he said that there is nothing he could do. He said that if she started puking uncontrollably or couldn't hold down any food or water that we could take her in to the E.R. He also said that he would check on her biopsy results in the morning and then call us if they were in. I'm praying they are!
To say that I've had to rely on God more than normal over the last several weeks is an understatement. I've also been in a Beth Moore bible study for the last six weeks, which I know is no coincidence. What a blessing it has been to walk through the life of King David while our family is dealing with so much uncertainty. The last (and most important lesson) that Beth taught last night was the goodness of God. She gave us a number of different scriptures that answered the question: Does God do us good? And today as I was praying about HG I remembered one scripture that she pointed us to.
"Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good." Romans 8:28 The Message
God works all things together in our lives for good. - Beth Moore
I am grateful for the goodness of God and his unfailing love. And since the only gift I have for God is one of faith, that's what I'm living on now.
Thank you so much for your prayers.

No comments:
Post a Comment