Friday, May 6, 2011
Locked Up
She surrendered to officials and then was locked up.
Well, it didn't go quite like that but Hannah did get locked up... in the car.
We were leaving Blaine's school on Wednesday after picking him up and I locked Hannah and her car seat into its base. I then proceeded to take Blaine around the truck to his side when I realized that I needed to change his clothes before going to the YMCA. So I stood him in the front seat and he changed his clothes. Because I was engaged in conversation with him I didn't notice that he had been playing with the locks and when I shut the front door and tried to open his door... locked.
Back door: Locked.
Hannah's door: Locked.
My door: Locked.
I ran around the car again frantic and the doors were (you guessed it) still all locked. I instantly thought of the several children that died here in Austin last year as a result of being left in the car. I was suddenly very aware of the 85 degree weather beating down on me and as I talked to Hannah through the window I realized that I would have to leave her in the parking lot in order to go inside and get a phone.
Lisa, the school director gave me the phone and the only number I could remember was David's mobile phone but there was no answer. She looked up the number to D's company and I called the main number. By this time I was standing outside of Hannah's door trying to give her a visual of us, but she was sobbing and screaming at the top of her lungs and I knew she was probably very warm, if not hot, by this point so our faces were doing nothing for her.
I finally got through to a sales agent and told him that I needed him to find David Lyon and tell him that his wife has an emergency and I need talk to him right away. He asked me to repeat myself (I guess I might have been a bit hysterical at this point) and then he went to get David. About four minutes later (even though it seemed like ten minutes) the guy got back on the phone and asked, "Who is this again?" to which I replied, "DAVID LYON'S WIFE!" He said he was sorry and he would transfer me right away but the call never went through. Luckily David recognized the number and called right back. I got right to the point and just said, "Come to Hawthorne right now! Hannah is locked in the car and it's not running!" Within about five minutes Daddy rescued us.
Hannah was traumatized. She was sweating and her tear-stained face was red hot. She clinged to me and sobbed and then clinged to David. At some point we had to leave though and she was not happy about getting back in her car seat. She was pretty attached to us for the rest of the evening but is doing better now.
Needless to say, I don't think Blaine will be locking the doors anymore...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How scary, but very glad the story has a happy ending.
ReplyDeleteKat