And then there was the talk I had with Blaine today. My almost-5-year-old... My big boy.
B: I'm going to be a farmer. (And then he went on to tell me how many crops he was going to grow and what animals he was going to have and then he told me that if I milked the cows, I could have free fruits and vegetables and if I milked 1000 cows I would earn $1000 dollars and this literally went on for 10 minutes.)
M: I think you'd be a good farmer. You like the outdoors and you love animals.
B: When I go to that place that will teach me what to do for a job, I'm going to learn how to be a farmer.
M: Oh, you mean college? That's good. What if God has another idea for you? What if he wants you to be something other than a farmer?
B: I am not doing what God wants me to do. I'm doing what I want to do and that's it! And he can pay me for what I want to do. (This got a chuckle from me!)
M: Well, you don't have to do what God wants you to do. He gave us free will and we can do whatever we want but a lot of times what happens when we don't follow God's will, we end being pretty unhappy because God knows what's best for us and He has a beautiful plan for our lives.
B: I know what will make me happy so I'm just going to do what I want.
M: I understand. When I went to college I thought I wanted to be a lawyer and so I took a bunch of tests and I paid a lot of money and then I discovered that God didn't want me to be a lawyer, so I became a teacher and then he gave me the best job - I got to be your Mama! God knew exactly what I was good at and what I should do with my life and when I went His way, I was much happier.
B: Mama, you should have just stayed a teacher and a Mama and told God so. Then you could be both.
M: Then I wouldn't be home with you and Sister all day.
B: Some of my teachers have kids of their own and they still go to work as teachers, so see, you can do both.
M: Well, maybe someday I will go back to being a teacher but for now this is where God wants me and I'm going to do what He says. When you're grown I'll just be a teacher.
At this point there was a pause, so I looked in the back seat and saw tears streaming down my sweet boy's face. His lip started quivering and he said this:
B: I don't want you to just be a teacher. You're my Mama.
M: Oh, Mister - I'll always be your Mommy! Even when you're a farmer and a big boy and you move away, I will always, always, always be your mama!!
He put a book up to cover his face and started to cry but then after talking to him for a few minutes, he was better. And we finished on the sweetest note.
B: God picked a perfect job for you, Mama.
And then it was over. He went back to the farmer discussion and decided that he wouldn't charge "mama, daddy, all my grandmas and grandpas, Siri and her family" for everything on his farm but one last thing was decided: I would have to give his cows baths! :)
Awesome. I better buy some stock in cow shampoo. :)
This is quite possibly the sweetest story ever! And tell Blaine that we would love some farm fresh produce :-)
ReplyDelete