Saturday, January 14, 2012

Yes, etc.

The answer to your question ("Are you Lyons alive over there?") is Yes!

I have been disciplining myself in many areas the last few weeks and unfortunately blogging is not an area that I am worried about, so it's not getting done. 

Fact is that this guy:


This girl:


These kids:


And this man:

Blaine and Keith in 2008

Blaine and Hannah Grace in 2010

Are pretty much all we're living and breathing these days.

When we got back from Michigan we found out that there was some fraud activity on our credit card which caused some problems for us and really sent us me into panic mode because the credit card company told us that a lot of organized crime groups are now stealing peoples credit cards, ordering credit reports and then stealing their identities.  Awesome.  (In our case there were multiple credit reports ordered.)  David spent a good amount of time calling the credit bureaus and putting a stop on all new credit inquiries so now anyone that tries to open a new account has to get approval through us first since we get a call that someone is trying to open a card in our name. 

Blaine has had an ear infection for nearly 3 weeks now which has taken us to the doctor twice and through two antibiotics.  He continues to complain of an earache but this morning I may have discovered the root of some of the problem:

B: Mama, my ear still hurts.
M: Really?  Well, we need to go see Dr. Howard if it's not better.
B: Ok.
(Pause)
B: Mama, it doesn't hurt if I don't put my finger in it like this.
(Inserts finger into ear.)
M: Don't stick your finger in your ear.  Does it still hurt?
B: MAMA, IT FEELS BETTER!

Part of my new discipline is waking up before 6:00 am so we can both get ready and start lunches and breakfast before the kids get up.  We need a solid two hours in the morning and since we both need to be out of the house by about 7:45 this is just what needs to be done.  We started something new with Blaine this week (part of the reason we need to get up earlier) - a new excercise routine that is part of his sensory diet - that really takes a lot of time and energy on our part so we have to get everything done in order to do this before school.  Not to mention get two kids ready, one of which HATES to put clothes on, brush teeth, hair, etc.  By the time we get to work it feels like we've done a full days work already!  It was actually a really good week for Mister.  The new excercises have been a real hit, he's adjusted well to school this week and he's done pretty well during the morning work period all week.

Hannah has had a runny nose for almost two months now and it's really getting to her.  I think both of her tubes have fallen out so now I'm starting to wonder if she has an ear infection.  She's been very needy lately and kind of fussy. 

She recently started using two and three word phrases.  She can't articulate the words so well, but we generally understand what she's saying.  Like: "I love you,"  "Up please," and I realize this is just one word but she's telling us to "Stop!" now which is really funny.  We'll be tickling her and she'll be laughing up a storm and then when she's done she'll get all serious and say, "Stop!"  You don't mess with with a girl that says "stop" the way she does. 

We gave up on the whole no-pacifier thing.  She gets it at night and that's it and frankly I'm ok with it.  When she understands more clearly we'll just tell her to throw it away or the Easter Bunny won't come.  That should work.  :) 

She continues to use the potty and tells us about 50% of the time when she needs to go.  She loves to use the potty and claps for herself with a big smile when she goes.  She knows the difference between poo and pee now and can tell us which she has to do.  I guess I should put her in underwear sometime soon and really take advantage of her eagerness to use the potty.  Good job, Hanny.  Mama will catch up one of these days.

And then there is our dear Keith.  The pictures above are from when the kids were babies.  Keith and Andrea have been with David and I through the most beautiful parts of our life.  Our engagement, our marriage, a journey toward healing, the birth of a baby boy, spiritual development, the birth of a baby girl, more spiritual development and the list goes on.  I'm working less and less from the Millers now due to our kids' childcare schedule but I feel my work is most important now because I am handling a lot of imporant day-to-day things now that cannot go un-done.  A friend sent this to me today because she knows what we're all going through and I thought I would share it.  (Thanks Friend :)

Boyd Bailey writes:
"...I have to remember, that this world is not our home. God has us here on a temporary assignment. We are on earth to glorify our Heavenly Father, by doing His will. His will is clear. His passion is to make disciples. However, while we are in the process of making disciples, there is an enemy to contend with. And one of the enemy’s weapons is illness. The devil’s strategy is to sideline you from God’s mission by using crippling and even terminal illness as a deterrent and a distraction. But God has a different plan. Because of, not in spite of, your illness is God drawing you and others closer to Christ. You are privileged to glory in the sufferings of Christ. “Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory” (Romans 8:17).Your great faith in God in the middle of adversity is compelling. Your Savior’s serenity challenges others to look again at this Jesus who is your rock and refuge in the middle of physical imperfection. The elevation of your faith lifts the faith of all those around you. God is drawing you and all those around you to Himself. Dying can be a more powerful witness than living. Therefore, cling to Christ, love Him and praise Him. He is the great physician who will give you the ultimate healing in His time. In the meantime, before you go home, invite many people to join you.  They will listen, because you have something they both need and want: peace with God and the peace of God. Illness is painful, but it is not wasted pain, it has an eternal purpose..."
Illness is painful... and I know it must be most painful for Keith but it is also extremely painful for those that love and care for him, on so many levels. 

Keith has been on oxygen (on and off) for several days now.  He is very weak - not able to move from the bed to a wheelchair without assistance now.  I don't get to see him very much because of my hours so I think back to the days when he would sit with me, every morning, for an hour or more to talk.  When I do get to see him now I just make sure he knows that I love him and that we are all praying for him.  I am thankful that in those old days I always gave my full attention to those moments because it is through those times that God was deepening my faith and teaching me about my own sin and weakness.  Keith would always say "Now let's just sit down a minute and talk... not that you have a choice since I pay you to listen to me!"  We'd laugh and that minute would turn into 60+ minutes.  Never a dull moment when you're with Keith, that's for sure.  Precious time that was.

Many thanks to those of you that are praying for Keith and Andrea and his family - and us - his adopted family.  We don't know when God will call Keith home but I am grateful for his presence in my life. The Holy Spirit worked through him (and still is) in a big way to change my life.  Keith has always been transparent, admitting his faults, weakness and sin before anything else.  The one thing Keith does best, though, is love others.  It doesn't matter if you've known him for 50 years or 5 minutes he always listens, pays attention and offers his kindness and care as if you're the last two people in the world. 

We love you Keith Miller. 


1 comment:

  1. Well, I learned so much in this post you'd never know we just had dinner! Life changes very quickly when you're caring for the very young and very old. We love you and miss you even more since we got to spend some time with you!

    ReplyDelete