I'm at Keith and Andrea's house right now sitting next to Keith. I didn't get to work today because Hannah is home on Fridays and she is not a very good assistant :) Therefore I wasn't able to see Keith so Andrea said I could come sit a while. It's been an honor and blessing to be able to spend this time here recently. It's very peaceful being in this room with him as he drifts in and out of our world.
Andrea reports that Keith has been pretty quiet much of the day with short whispers here and there (to her and to "others"). He has longer periods of sleep and he stares a lot now. He has not said much since I've been here but he did put his hand out for me to hold when Andrea told him I was here. And he said, "Jessica, oh Jessica, are you leaving for good?" I told him I wasn't, that I was staying for good. Then about five minutes later he waved his hand in the air and said cheerfully, "Mornin' God!" It was so precious.
I had a pretty good day with the kids. It was jam packed with errands, appointments and housework. Blaine and I had a nice conversation this afternoon:
M: Blaine, you know what's been hurting on Mama?
B: No, what?
M: My tooth!
B: Oh, Mama - you know why your tooth hurts Mama? When you get older you get rid of your baby teeth and then you get new teeth and then, and then and then.... Mama, you're getting old.
M: Wait, what? Why does my tooth hurt?
B: It means you're old.
I thought it was the wrinkles on my face but it's actually my toothache that makes me old.
Then my son, the negotiator, told me he wasn't going to take a nap because he wasn't tired. I proposed that he "rest" on the couch and he accepted. I told him he had to be quiet and lay down for thirty minutes and then he could get up. After two minutes he said he wanted some quiet music. Then two minutes later he needed to blow his nose. Then two minutes later he wanted to know if thirty minutes had passed. And then...
No, he's not tired at all.
This one just cracks me up...
David has a fishing tournament this Sunday and I have plans to do a little shopping and relaxation tomorrow. Both David and I are completely exhausted and feel stretched to the limit but we're hanging on to God and praying for continued strength and guidance. And right now we're just keeping vigil until Keith departs from our world into the next. Not a lot of space right now to think too much into the future but Keith would want it that way. Living one day at a time - not in the past and not in the future.
Thankful for today.
No comments:
Post a Comment