Sunday, December 4, 2011

It's Beginning to Smell a Lot Like...

Christmas!

One of my goals this weekend was to start baking my Christmas goodies, one of my favorite aspects of this wonderful season, and even though I didn't get as much done as I wanted, I did get three batches of burnt sugar almonds done.  Two batches didn't turn out right but one turned out perfect.  David even got his bake on this weekend (which has happened maybe one other time in the last 8 years.)  He made donuts from biscuit dough.  He was pretty pleased with his creation (as was I) and they were so yummy.

We consumed a lot of sugar this weekend "testing" all of our Christmas treats.  I was in a sugar coma most of the day but thankfully made it to the gym to work off some of those almonds (and a donut... or two.)

It rained nearly all weekend, which was great since we're still in the middle of a drought.  But the rain did bring freezing cold temperatures (we may have our first freeze of the year tonight.)  Hannah is a tad bit obsessed with hats.  When she feels a draft or we step outside and it's chilly she pats her head and says "hat."  She even likes to wear hats around the house which is pretty cute.

Blaine started a new schedule at school today.  He'll still be dropped off at 8:00am but will now be picked up at 11:30am.  While we think this reduced schedule is going to benefit him, this adjustment (I used to pick him up at 3:00) is going to be really difficult for me.  As most everyone knows Keith is very sick with pancreatic cancer and I have continued my position with the Millers helping to run their business and manage some of their personal matters.  I have loved my job for the last (nearly) five years and having to reduce my schedule so much, especially during this difficult time, was hard for me.  I want to be there as much as I can but we don't have a lot of options for Blaine at this time so I can only go in for those few hours while he's at school.  Hannah continues to thrive at her pre-school but it's only two days a week and a friend that keeps her the other two days of the week has decided that she's going to go back to work, so we'll be done with her in January.  Ugh!  Childcare... one of the most difficult and stressful parts of parenting!  I could just stay home but I feel called to continue my service to the Millers.  Thanks for your prayers :)

We are looking forward to an early Christmas with our kids and David's side of the family next weekend and then we head to Michigan on Christmas Eve.  Since they don't know the difference between the 17th or the 25th we figured that we would just celebrate early since we'll be gone Christmas morning, plus the kids will have some time to play with some of their presents before we leave for our trip.  We're hoping for some snow in Michigan because Blaine is really looking forward to sledding and ice fishing when we're up there.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas preparations.  I can't wait to get in the kitchen and bake the rest of my favorite goodies.  I love giving out plates of cookies to our friends and family - that is, if there are any left after David and I "test" them!





No comments:

Post a Comment