Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Special Sunday

Today is Palm Sunday, the day when myself and other Christ followers celebrate Jesus' entry into Jerusalem, the week before his death and resurrection.  The biblical account of Palm Sunday can be found in Matthew 21:1-11; Mark 11:1-11; Luke 19:28-44; and John 12:12-19.

This day is special for another reason too.  Today, Palm Sunday 2011 - April 17th, 2011 - is the day that I made the decision to be baptized.

I wasn't planning on being baptized when I went to church today, even though it was Baptism Sunday, but today's sermon really squeezed my heart and God had his own plan.  Here is the sermon, it's less than 30 minutes long and it would really mean a lot to me if you took the time to watch/listen to it (it's titled "Grace").  Today was a wonderful day for me and my family and the sermon on Grace put my heart and mind where it needed to be.

Actually, I was baptized as an infant in the Catholic church and then I took my first communion in the Catholic church but was never confirmed and though I've believed in God my whole life I haven't always been a Christ follower.  I sort of rebelled in high school... and college... and bit after that. I had my own plans for my life and until I felt like my life was sort of meaningless, out of control, and 'flat' I pretty much lived the way I wanted to. But then in 2003 my heart started yearning for more.  I was sick and tired of being sick and tired of life.  The ball of faith really started rolling in 2002 when I moved to Houston but it wasn't until the spring of 2003 that I surrendered my life to God and allowed Jesus to put my broken life back together.  I was ready to give my burdens and pain to Him and find true freedom.  Today I have a relationship with God that is so beautiful I wouldn't trade anything for it. 

During the sermon today I realized (rather, it really sunk in) that Jesus Christ died on the cross for me and my sins.  He came, he taught, he loved, he accepted, he lead, he was crucified, he died and he was buried for me (and y'all!).  But that's not the end of the story, which makes Christianity so beautiful.  He was resurrected and in that resurrection He brings me up out of the depths with Him and though I don't deserve it, I am covered by His amazing Grace.

It was a powerful moment, being moved to a decision like this but one that I will always remember.  The details of the day couldn't have been more perfect as well.  As we were leaving the service and walking to the baptism pool I asked David if he would get in with me (he was baptized as a young teenager) and of course he said yes!  And our good friends, the Pembertons, were also celebrating a baptism - Elliot's - and because Keith and Andrea (my bosses, friends and mentors) were there to celebrate with Elliot they also helped me celebrate.  In fact, when I told them that I was going to be baptized, Keith asked if I wanted him to get in with me and when I said yes, Andrea also joined our baptism party!  I was so overwhelmed with joy that I could barely speak.  So we all (in our regular clothes) got into the (freezing) cold water and in a small huddle, David on one side and Keith and Andrea on the other, prayed together and then I was baptized - being immersed by my dear husband and my mentor.  Tears flowed freely as I hugged David (and everyone within hugging distance.)

My relationship with God is no different but I do feel different.  John Burke said that when we give our lives to God, there is a spiritual transaction that takes place.  I felt that, very profoundly, back in 2003.  Baptism was different.  I gave my heart to God long ago but what happened during my baptism was like a Chiropractic appointment.  My spiritual spine was aligned.  That small outward, but very public, act of faith and proclamation shifted me.  It shifted me in a way that I can't describe except that I have new eyes.

Thanks be to God!

I'll try to get some pictures to post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment