I don't know that I can recap the last few weeks in a short post. We've been here and there and here again and it is all a blur, really. It seemed like we were facing this long (much needed) vacation for so long - excited in anticipation and now it is Saturday night, with only one day left. I am finding myself back in the meal planning business, grocery shopping, and gearing up for "normal". I am grumpy and don't like it one bit when I think about it but I am excited for this next year. Or maybe I am just in a bad mood because Blaine pooped in the tub tonight (because it was "funny and great") while I was putting pajamas on Sister and then he proceeded to play with it. This was not the way I wanted to end my Saturday.
Besides that we've had a pretty good vacation. The Gay's (my parents and brother) came from Michigan on Christmas day and left on Friday morning. Our visits are always too short but we made the most of it and had a great time (despite a little bit of drama.)
We left on Monday morning to go to San Antonio for three days. Long story short - we will NEVER travel with Blaine again... well, at least not until he's 10 or maybe 17! We've certainly learned our lesson this time. Blaine thrives and does well, for the most part, when life is familiar and consistent. We realized on this trip that he really needs his bed, his stuff, his food, his schedule, etc. This mini-vacation was supposed to be fun but what it did was totally throw my sweet boy off. He was miserable for the first two days. He was in a different city, different bed, sleeping in a room with his mom, dad and sister and his diet was off. We ate out a lot and my family snacks a lot, so he was getting way too many things that he's not used to. It was temper-tantrum after temper-tantrum and at night it was a battle to go down and then both kids were up most of the night. If it wasn't Blaine, then it was Hannah. Then I was a total wreck (my husband and parents may have another word for this) because he was having such a hard time and even though we did some fun things (Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, the Riverwalk, etc.) it was rough.
Wednesday, though, was a beautiful day. David took Blaine swimming at our hotel first thing in the morning and then he got a good nap in before we went to Sea World. We all had a fantastic time on Wednesday - Blaine included. He loved Sea World and said his favorite part was seeing "the sharks." My favorite part of Sea World was actually sitting in an 18 minute long show with Blaine... on my lap... and he wasn't hitting, screaming, or biting. We watched a short clip from the movie "Polar Express" in 4D and my little man actually sat on my lap and watched it with me without moving a muscle. It was awesome. This may not seem like a big deal, but for a kid that barely sits still to eat, this was HUGE. I cried. (Seriously, I did.)
We saw the 7:30 pm Shamu show and then headed home. Both kids were asleep by 8:30 pm and we arrived home safely by 10:00 although I had a horrible migraine-like headache thing going on and David rushed me to the E.R. because we all thought I was going to die. (Well David did not think I was going to die, but he was concerned enough to take me.) I went on a ride at Sea World that jerked me all around and I think that was just a bad idea. I had an instant headache and then it got worse as the day progressed. Then I felt nauseous and was crying because of the pain. It was worst than giving birth (naturally) to two kids. Finally after arriving at the E.R. my shakes, nausea, and headache subsided. I guess the Ibuprofen from earlier (or the large looming E.R. bill) cured me. I had a headache into the next day, but felt better after that. Ya see? Drama.
Overall, we all really enjoyed ourselves and now I miss them :(
I don't know what D and I did to be so "good" this year but Santa was very good to us. We received some amazing gifts from our parents and family and we can't wait to dig into 2011 equipped with all our new gadgets, memberships, resources, and tools. Thanks "Santa" - we love you all and are so grateful for your gifts.
Oh and by the way: Happy New Year! We are looking forward to this year and we wish you all a prosperous and healthy new year! God Bless :)
No comments:
Post a Comment