Because tomorrow is Monday and my first day back to "normal" after a long vacation it sort of seems like the new year is beginning tomorrow, though I know it officially started yesterday. I've never been much for New Year's resolutions but I did spend some time today reflecting over the last year.
Here are my Top 10 Life-Changing Moments in 2010. Warning: they are not all happy moments, but it's not always good things that change our lives for the better.
* Celebrating Blaine's 2nd birthday. There were a lot of changes in Blaine's world this year, after turning 2 - he went from having a nanny to a Montessori school and he has welcomed a little sister into his world. Begrudgingly... but he did it. I am proud of this little man and cherish his life more each day.
* Finding 5 year old Julian's body in the bushes near our home. Recently we found out that he was beaten to death by his father's girlfriend and then thrown out of her car into the bushes. When I found him I was 6 months pregnant and pushing Blaine in a stroller. David and I attended his funeral and I was able to meet and hold his parents in my arms. I've never felt more connected to a stranger than I was to Julian's mother.
* The birth of our precious baby girl, Hannah Grace. She is the happiest, most laid back and easy-going baby I've ever been around. She is sweet, (virtually) always happy, and makes me smile, regardless of my mood. She brings great joy and a sense of peace to our lives. Also, Hannah's birth story was a remarkable experience for me. I've now given birth to two perfect children - completely naturally without the use of medication. This time around I had a Doula and that made a huge difference. I certainly am proud of my body!
* Becoming a more established and giving member at church. I've jumped in this year with serving others and joining a small group. I am now meeting weekly with a group of women - their presence in my life has been life changing. Sharing my life with these women has helped me grow in a lot of areas and I look forward to 2011 with them.
* My friend, Molly (and her husband, Jason) losing their 2 year old son Aidan. This loss has rocked me in a way that I will never forget. There are things that I pray fervently for and this remains one of them. Molly and Jason have been in my prayers and thoughts every single day since Aidan's departure to heaven just a few short months ago. The loss my friend has experienced has caused me to look at life in a new way. I am much more grateful for what I have and my faith runs much deeper.
* Celebrating 4 years of marriage to my best friend. Though we've been attached-at-the-hip for almost 8 years now, our 4 year wedding anniversary marked the most special day in our lives together. David is a phenomenal father and a terrific husband and I look forward to walking through 2011 with him by my side.
* Working for Keith and Andrea Miller has been a highlight of my life since I started working there (it will be 4 years in February). I have changed so much as a person and my writing has improved just from working with these two wonderful people. I love my job and actually look forward to going to work each day.
* I am thankful to the 12-Step programs and how they have brought healing to my life and in the lives of the people closest to me. Because of anonymity I won't say who has had their lives changed, but if it were not for God and the 12-Steps of AA, I would not have some very important people in my life. I am thankful for what this program has done to help.
* Friendship has been an important theme in 2010. I prayed long and hard for some real, authentic friendships here in Austin over the last year and God has blessed me with more than one! I am so grateful for these women and their families and their presence in my life.
* And I cannot think of one more BIG thing that has changed my life in 2010, though the common denominator in the previous nine moments is God. He has really worked on me this last year and I can feel my heart changing each day that I allow Him in. On to 2011...
And my top 11 resolutions... goals... aspirations... in 2011 are:
* Cultivate and strengthen my relationship with God through loving others more authentically and doing His work here on earth.
* Lose the remaining baby weight... 15 pounds to go! (We already joined the gym - now the hard part.)
* Help Blaine be more successful in life. We are starting out 2011 by going Gluten and Casein Free. This is going to be a huge change for our family (more later.) We hope that this dietary change helps our little man.
* Volunteer at least 4 times this year.
* Relax on the weekend more. I need to slllooowww down.
* Go on one date per month with David.
* Celebrate Hannah's first year of life.
* Read more than 3 books, which is what I read in 2010. (Relaxing more would sure help me here...)
* Talk with old friends on the phone more often. I miss these girls and want to hear their voices.
* Support David as he grows in all areas of his life.
* Dang! - here I am at my last one again and my plan was foiled. I can't think of one more thing I want to do this year that would actually be feasible. Hmmm. Maybe I can work on actually writing blog posts that come together in the end...?
No comments:
Post a Comment