Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Well, I did it. I made thanksgiving dinner and (drum roll please) it was excellent (if I do say so myself.) David said he liked it, actually he said, "You exceeded my expectations!" Unbeknown to me, he thought I was going to struggle making a meal like this but with some awesome recipes and prayer (a LOT of prayer) it turned out very well. Thanks to my mother-in-law for passing on her recipes and offering some emergency phone call support. I also asked my Dad for advice and he muttered something about there being "no hope" when I asked if the turkey had to be thawed before I prepared it. LOL.

Speaking of my Dad, today is his birthday! I asked him if he was born before or after the trip on the Mayflower and he made a funny joke, as is usual with my Dad, and then said that he's pretty sure he came after. Happy Birthday Dad, I love you.

Here is our meal. I'll work on presentation in a few years...

Blaine waiting patiently for dinner and Nana's famous deviled eggs.

David carving the turkey.

It looks so small...but it was a 9 pound turkey.

Still waiting...

Banging silverware now.  Patience has worn off.

Turkey, dressing, gravy, acorn squash, green beans, cranberry sauce, rolls and cherry pie.

This does not look as good as it tasted.  Dark meat, dressing, and white meat.  Mmmmm.
In other news, both kids (actually all of us) are sick.  Blaine is running his second day of a fever and Hannah's fever broke yesterday.  No throwing up, just congestion, cough, fever and loss of appetite (for Blaine at least.)  We always know when he's not feeling well because he asks us to hold him and he wants us to do everything with one hand so we can continue to hold him.  Plus, he slept in until 6:45 am today (GASP) and that was when we knew that he wasn't well.  Both kids went to the doctor this week but I was sent home both times with "it's just a cold", although Sister's doctor said she might have a U.T.I.  I declined the catheter and said we'd give her a few more days to see if she got better.  Her temperature was suspicious to the doctor because there were no other obvious reasons for a fever (ear infection, etc...)  I think she is on the mend today though, so we're grateful for that.

We hope you all have a wonderful Turkey Day.  I am grateful for my family, our health, and the too-many-to-count blessings in our lives.  Especially thankful for my Dad today, on his birthday, and am glad for his health and happiness.

With love ~ Jessica


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment