Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Happy Birthday Mama!

It's hard to see but Blaine put our shoes in order like
and then we found them at the front door.  Cute.


If you're reading this you should be warned that you're witnessing a temporary hijacking of the blog. I apologize in advance; proceed at your own risk.

Amidst all of the recent challenges in our lives Blaine, Hannah and I all agreed that we still wanted to give a digital shout out to Mommy (a.k.a. Babe Scuster, Blaine's name for Jessica) on her big day.

Happy Birthday to the most dedicated and loving Mom we know, the most valuable employee on the planet, a daughter and daughter in-law who is a true blessing, a devoted friend, author of the blog and my wife (still not sure how I pulled that one off): Jessica.

When I die it's my hope that God and I can sit and review recordings of some of my prayers. I'm sure it's true that God has a sense of humor so I can't see him forgoing this kind of opportunity for a good laugh. It wasn't until recently that I shared with Jessica a bit of divine revelation which I received when praying about asking her to marry me.

David's best shot at a prayer of gratitude: "God, thank you for putting Jessica in my life, she's an amazing woman and meeting her has forever changed me. I'm so grateful that you choose her for me and me for her, she's the perfect person to help me achieve the great things that you have in store for me."

(Insert vinyl record scratch sound here.)

The problem with this prayer might be completely apparent to most. It wasn't to me. Yes, I'm serious, this was an actual prayer.

While the obvious depravity and absolute lack of even a degree of humility in the prayer may be quite clear to you it really sounded like genuine gratitude to me at the time.

His voice was not audible but I remember the response was quite clear.

God: Have you considered the possibility that I'm putting YOU in HER life because YOU are the perfect person to help HER achieve all of the great things that I have in store for HER?

David: Uhhhhmm…

I found once again that God knows His stuff. The concept that initially rocked my world has manifested itself as true in so many ways since that prayer. Once we became parents it was abundantly clear what God meant in a very particular sense and I have no doubt that there will be plenty of opportunity to look back and see even more examples of the application of this truth in our lives.

Jess, the way you love our children is nothing short of a miracle to me. What could be more beautifully natural than the love of a mother? The self-limiting love of a faithful Mother and wife. For all that you do but especially for all that you are, we love you and wish you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment