We are in the middle of a terrible drought here in Austin. The nearest lake is only 54% full (wow!)and because it has not rained more than one or two times since January everyone's grass and trees and flowers are in a world of hurt. I'm sure our water bill is going to be ridiculous this month.
So on Monday we decided to pray for some rain. Blaine closed his big blue eyes tight and held his little hands together as we asked God to send some rain to Austin so the flowers and trees and grass would be happy again. When we finished praying Blaine and I had this conversation:
B: "Mama, we're gonna get rain now."
M: "You think so? If we pray for it and it's God's will, we'll get it. But I sure hope we do."
B pauses and thinks for a moment and then continues.
B: "God knows what's in our heart."
I thought that was such a sweet response especially since we've never talked about this explicitly. I'm sure he's learned this language at church, but maybe not. He's said pretty deep and profound things before on his own so it wouldn't surprise me if he just knew this deep down inside.
That night, just about 6 hours after praying for rain, Austin and much of the surrounding area got a huge thunderstorm that must have lasted an hour or more. It was the most beautiful sound and yes - our grass, flowers and trees were very happy the next day. When Blaine woke up he was so excited to see the wet grass. When we told him that his prayers were answered he was thrilled.
Later that day when talking about something else, Blaine reminded us that "God knows what's in our hearts" and that God and Jesus are the same person. He starting to get the whole idea of love down too. I probably heard 10 times today that he loves me, followed by a wet smooch on the lips - totally out of the blue. Although a few days ago he told me that he really, really, really, loves Siri more than me and it's not possible to love both of us the same.
Great! I've already lost my boy to a girl! It's a good thing we love her and her parents :)
No comments:
Post a Comment