In my lifetime I have been surprised, and I mean really surprised, just several times. This past Thursday topped them all though.
I have been so disappointed that one of my parents were not going to be here for Hannah's first birthday party. For one reason or another they just couldn't make the trip and I was really bummed. So bummed that I was apparently being really rude to my mama! Looking back I now see that I was really sad and depressed.
So on Thursday I was pretty busy (what's new?) getting ready for Hannah's party and David called me and asked for us to meet him for lunch. I declined because I was so busy with work and party planning and asked if he could just come over to Keith and Andrea's house (where I work). David came and at about that same time my dad called. I didn't want to answer (because I was so busy) but David picked it up and talked to Dad briefly then handed me the phone. We talked for a moment and then I told him I had to go because I was finishing something for work. I hung up and commented that "Mom was going to kill him" for putting a dead squirrel in the freezer (this is another story for another day). As soon as I said this, I heard my dad's voice saying. "Mom is going to kill me for what?" I looked at my phone thinking it was on speaker but when I saw it wasn't I spun around and there he was: Big Papa standing three feet from my face. I think my face turned white, like I'd seen a ghost, and then I spun around to look at David and he said to me, "He's real." I must have asked like ten times, "What are you doing here?!?" It was the craziest moment ever. It took a good six hours for it to sink in that my dad was actually in Austin.
Needless to say, I was so happy that he came and since it's taken me five days to write this I can tell you that we've had a wonderful time. In fact, Papa is already leaving... tomorrow morning, bright and early. I honestly don't know what the kids are going to do without their Papa.
No comments:
Post a Comment