Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Valley of Darkness... and Fun!

We have been in "the valley" (south Texas) since Friday visiting Nana and Ray.  We flew in and headed straight to the beach but never made it because the traffic got bad (really bad) and the kids were at the end of their ropes.  And that's a bad combo for us.  We were still about two hours from the beach (but only about 5 miles) when Blaine and Hannah started having meltdowns so we called it quits and headed back to Nana and Ray's house.  After we decided to turn around we stopped for food and to stretch our legs but only after Blaine stopped screaming (with tears), "I want to go to the beach!  I want to see sharks!  I don't want to go home."  Poor thing, my heart was just breaking for him.  We've been talking about the beach for a couple weeks now and when we had to turn around he was just heart broken.  Our saving grace was the pool when we arrived in Edinburg which Blaine was happy to occupy.  Everyone but Hanny and I swam and if you're wondering why I didn't swim let me tell you why...

The title reference "valley of darkness" is an exaggeration but boy has it been rough for me.  Both kids were diagnosed with Herpangina last week.  Hannah had it worse than Blaine but neither had symptoms that moved beyond blisters in their throats and high fevers.  Thursday I started feeling bad and by evening I had a high fever, sore throat, chills, headache, stomach ache and basically felt like I'd been hit by a freight train.  I prayed for healing and though I wasn't healed completely I was able to get up in the morning, get ready, finish packing and get on the plane.  We made it to Edinburg and then had the whole beach saga.  Honestly I was feeling pretty good until about 6:00 pm when my fever came back.  My throat started hurting more and as my fever came on my hands and feet started hurting.  By Saturday morning my virus had turned the corner from Herpangina to full-on Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease.  Not only do I have painful blisters in my mouth, and throat but I have a painful and itchy rash on my hands and feet, no appetite, a headache and a stomach ache.  Honestly, I have never been in this kind of pain for this long before.  In fact I'd give birth (naturally) over this any day!  And because I am still breastfeeding I have to eat and drink to produce milk and this is no easy task.  Nana worked hard to make me all kinds of soft foods, stuff that was easier to get down.  Mostly, I am shocked that this virus can cause this much pain and discomfort.  I've had influenza before, had bad sinus infections, allergies that have lasted months on end, given birth to two 8+ pound babies and this really takes the cake.  Not being able to walk or use my hands or eat is really testing my patience and causing me great mental distress.  Ugh - but enough about me! 

Despite my leper status, I/we had a great time in Edinburg.  It wasn't all "valley of darkness" but very much a valley of fun :)  Nana and Ray have a beautiful home on a golf course in a quiet community down in Edinburg.  We were comfortable and felt right at home and want to thank Nana and Ray for their hospitality.  Blaine spent a lot of time at the pool - which he loves of course and Nana spent (it seems) most of the weekend in the kitchen cooking for us.  Last night we had yummy steak and shrimp kabobs with fresh corn on the cob, bread, and a cold shrimp salad.  Today we had ham and twice baked potatoes, vegetables, fruit salad, rolls and chocolate delight (a family recipe that is truly delightful!)  The Easter Bunny found Blaine and Hannah in Edinburg too.  Ray... I mean, the Easter Bunny, dropped off the kids' easter baskets on the front porch and rang the door bell as he hopped away. Blaine thought that was neat and then tore into his basket, grass and all.

Our flight back was good though David can't find his driver's license so he had to go through additional screening at security.  And actually (this will make my dad proud) it was David's Michigan Fishing License that got him through security because it was the only form of "ID" he had that had his address on it.

As I sit here typing, with my hands and feet on fire, I can't help but pause and pray for those that are in chronic pain or are facing illnesses that are life threatening.  I know that this virus will likely leave my body in the next week and God will restore me to health again.  I have faith that will happen and though I've complained about my disease a lot in this post, I have not forgotten the blessings in my life.  Today I was reminded constantly of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, his beautiful resurrection and how he calls us to be in relationship with him so that we no longer have to bear pain, hurt, frustration, resentment, bitterness, you-name-it.  My pain and discomfort is so miniscule compared to what He endured and to what countless others are facing today.

Happy Easter everyone!  I would sure appreciate your prayers for a speedy recovery and additional prayers for those that you do and do not know that are experiencing chronic pain or are facing life threatening illnesess.  God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment