Saturday, December 18, 2010

Happiness

A friend of a friend recently wrote and said this:

"Over the last number of year's I've found that happiness comes from trying to do God's will on a daily basis. I had a friend tell me one time, "You've only got to be happy 51% of the time to be happy most of the time!"

This friend also sent along these words:

The purpose of man's life is not happiness but worthiness. - Felix Adler

When we pursue happiness as a goal for its own sake, we usually reach the opposite point of emptiness.  Feeling happy is a by-product of other life experiences.  Happiness comes and goes.  We welcome it but cannot capture and hold it, nor can we create a recipe for achieving happiness. 

We will lead far more successful lives pursuing other values which we do have control over, such as honesty, respect for others and ourselves, seeking loving relationships, and making a contribution to the well-being of others.  We can accept unhappiness and difficulties without struggle when we know we are doing something that has greater meaning.  Our Eleventh Step tells us we pray only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out.  This helps us focus on God's purpose for us.  We can have an inner sense of joy knowing we are leading meaningful lives, even when we aren't having a particularly happy day.

I will seek the goals that make my life worthwhile and welcome happiness when it comes.

- Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men

For years I searched for happiness and, don't get me wrong, I was happy at times, but my soul yearned for more.  There was a deep emptiness in me.  In 2003 I gave my life to God in a way that I had never before and I found myself surrendering to him daily.   When I did that my life changed.  When I started focusing solely on God's purpose for my life, happiness began to come in waves and it meant so much more than the happiness that I experienced earlier in my life when I was seeking happiness for happiness' sake.

Anyway, this really resonated with me and I wanted to share with you all.

Enjoy your Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment