Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Burned

David and I come from very different faith-backgrounds. He grew up in the Pentecostal Church and I in the Catholic Church. We had our questions, as do many children and teenagers and both entered periods of avoidance. I don't know that we consciously did this, but it felt better to be in charge of our own lives rather than follow the rules and regulations of our respective backgrounds and as a young impressionable teen I often found myself wondering why this adult or that adult, who professed faith, could act so cruelly or unjust to others. I, personally, got burned and wondered 'Why' all too often.

Fast forward through our lives and the many ups and downs and here we are, both Christians - by choice. The most beautiful and fulfilling choice (and difficult some days) I've ever made and David and I want our faith in God to be center of our lives so that we don't have to be in the driver's seat, messing everything up.

What's the point?

There isn't one, except the fact that I wanted to share the series that our church is doing.

Some of us may have been burned by church yet some haven't and all is hunky-dory. And then others just don't want any part of "that religious stuff." Gateway Church is addressing the concerns of many in their series: Burned By Church.

I just had to post this because if I am keeping this journal as a way to chronicle our lives, then this is pretty important stuff to us.

Two weeks ago Rick Shurtz talked about a personal betrayal that led him to question Christianity (a mentor-teacher turned out to be a child molester) in his sermon Preachers, Meth and Prostitutes.

And last week John Burke addressed the view that many have of those "church-folk" who are not living examples of Christ, but are rather judgmental, pious and exclusive in his sermon Club Jesus. I especially enjoyed this sermon because John told the story of Evel Knievel and his amazing conversion. Also, to be honest, I was pretty convicted by this sermon thinking back to the times when I have been an embarrassing and terrible example of the God I serve. I'm thankful for His Grace.

The videos are only 30 minutes long... if that. I invite you to take some time and watch them. If nothing else, the pastors are funny guys and are quite entertaining. You can see the videos or listen to the podcast here.

Don't worry, you won't get the cooties if you watch and God won't strike you with lightning if you don't.

Also, it's ironic that one of our favorite authors just released a new book on this topic: Has Christianity Failed You?

I'll read this after I read the nine... no, wait... ten parenting books I have started and not finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment