Monday, July 19, 2010

Plano-rrific!

It's Tuesday night but I am just now getting to a post from the weekend. (Sigh) I thought I had no free time with just Blaine around, but it turns out I had way more than I do now. On to the good stuff...

This past weekend we made the 4 hour trek to Plano, TX (for you Michiganders, it's pronounced Plane-o) where David's mom and her husband live. Affectionately referred to as Mimi and Pops. We braced ourselves for the worst 4 hours of our lives and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. We typically don't drive anywhere in the car for more than 25 minutes because Blaine despises being in his carseat. It is kind of like putting a wild lion or tiger or bear into a small cage and then dangling fresh meat just outside its reach... it's not a pretty scene. Many people have suggested that we give him books or a DVD player or even food... but we've learned that this only makes "the lion" more aggressive. We are careful not to leave any toys, books, food containers, sippy cups (and mose importantly) shoes within Mister's reach because we're sure to get the items in the back of the head or worse, Sister will be scarred for life from the impact at such a close range. Sugary food doesn't even do it. We're lucky if he doesn't stuff every last ounce of food into the space between the door and the window.

Anyway, since that is what we were dealing with we decided to try leaving at nap time to get a (possible) few hours of silence in. Our plan worked somewhat well, though it took an hour for Blaine to fall asleep and during that hour he complained and whined about everything. It took multiple snacks, foot rubbing, head rubbing, and coaxing to get him to sleep. We thought we were in the clear until we hit a traffic jam and both kids were extremely unhappy about the lack of movement so the crying and whining ensued. We realized that Hannah needed to eat so David pulled over on IH-35 (no exits in sight and traffic was slow) and I nursed HG. Blaine of course was not very happy about any of this so he threw a mini-fit in the backseat. David finally moved to the back and when I finished feeding Sister, I moved into the drivers seat. We were lucky enough to hit Dallas rush hour traffic (on a Friday, mind you) but this hour of the trip wasn't too terrible because we busted out the "special snacks" to bribe Blaine and ask that he be patient just a little longer. The good news is that we arrived in Plano unharmed and pumped for our weekend with the fam. Blaine was ecstatic to see Mimi and Pops and as a nice surprise David and I were sent out on a date with just Hannah. Mimi and Pops braved it and spent dinner time with the Mister.

On Saturday the boys spent the morning and early afternoon on Lake Grapevine on Pops motorboat. Blaine loved it but said "It was super windy!" I got in my first post-partum run. I won't lie - it was rough. I probably ran 1 and a 1/2 miles and walked 3/4 of a mile and thought I was going to die the whole time. It's sad to think that I once thought of myself as a runner and it's crazy to think what 10 months without exercise will do to a body (I don't recommend it.) Mimi spent time loving on her first grand-daughter (who has the official nickname of "Angel Bug) while I "ran" and then we both cleaned up and spent the afternoon at Central Market eating and grocery shopping. We both had a fun day. Thanks, Mimi.

Saturday evening we enjoyed one of Marie's wonderful meals: redfish and steaks. Mmmmm. (G)uncle (as Blaine calls him) Matt and his girlfriend came over on Sunday morning for another of Marie's 'Mmmmm' meals and they had a great time playing with Blaine (and Blaine enjoyed the fresh meat). They played ball, played with the dogs, wrestled, and even watched a little Elmo on sesamestreet.com. Blaine loves his Guncle Matt Lyon and can't wait to see him again.

The ride home went really well. David and Uncle Matt tired Blaine out at the pool before we left and so Blaine enjoyed the first hour of the trip relaxing and eating the lunch that Mimi packed us. When he fell asleep he was out for almost 2 hours (GASP!) Sister also slept well and we were able to get her to hold off on eating until brother woke up. The last hour (after everyone ate) was pleasant enough and we might even go on a road trip again!

Here are some pictures from the last week.

Hannah Grace - 6 weeks old



Date night (kind of)... even if we had Hannah

Pops and Mister on the motor boat.


Yes, that is my 2.5 year old in his sister's carseat.
Mimi teaching Blaine how to play the piano.
I love this outfit on her.


Not a very flattering picture of (G)uncle Matt... but it's the only one I got.

Update on HG's acid relfux: She continues to struggle and is still only keeping down 1/2 of her meals. Not only that but this second refill we got of her Prevacid wasn't mixed correctly so she was throwing that up as well :( They fixed it today and she's kept down one dose and one meal. We are keeping our fingers crossed for this evening's meals. This whole ordeal has been emotionally and physically draining for me too. I feel like I am holding her all the time. I hold her to nurse her (30 minutes approximately 7 times a day), and then we hold her upright in our arms for 30 minutes (7 times a day) and then we hold her whenever Blaine is around for fear that he might hurt her (this is practically the rest of the day). At night we try laying her down but she is so used to being held that she wants nothing to do with laying down or being separated from us. My back is killing me and I am starting to feel it everywhere else. We sure hope this gets better soon. Your prayers are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment