"Hannah was admitted into the NICU tonight due to complications discovered in her blood work. She is having a spinal tap tonight to rule out spinal meningitis and then (additionally) will be administered antibiotics until she has a negative culture (to rule out another form of bacterial infection) and then after the negative culture reading she will have to be in the NICU for at least 7 days on an antibiotic regimen. At this point (Tuesday) she will be in the NICU for the next 9 days (that is) if she is negative for spinal meningitis and comes back with a negative culture. If she has spinal meningitis or comes back with more positive cultures, she could be in NICU for up to 21+ days.
Please pray with us for her health and safety this evening and through this ordeal. This is a scary time for us, but we are hopeful and know that Hannah Grace is in God's care.
I will be discharged tomorrow, but will be up here until HG can come home because I am breastfeeding.
Love,
Jessica and David"
Last night was very hard on us as we waited to hear what was going to happen with Hannah. She was hooked up to multiple machines, had an IV port put in her foot and I had to feed her in the NICU with cords hanging off her tiny body. David was here at the hospital with us, home with Blaine and then at work in between. Marie, David's mom was here with us and then at the grocery store shopping for us and worked to keep the house together and laundry going. Today, after lots of prayers and love being sent our way, we got some good news:
"Thank you all for sending your thoughts and well-wishes and prayers. We have certainly felt them deep in our spirits. David and I and our extended family have been comforted by you all and our amazing God.
We received some good news this afternoon. I spoke with the doctor in the NICU and he has a "gut feeling" that this was all a "nothing" - that what was found was a contaminant and not a serious bacterial infection. Spinal meningitis has been (almost) completely ruled out but the last confirmation test won't come until tomorrow morning. Other dangerous bacterial infections are still being investigated therefore they are keeping her on antibiotics for another 12 hours.
He sounded pretty confident (which made me cry tears of joy) and said that if this last culture came out negative that she could get off antibiotics and go home Thursday night! He was so confident that he is letting her room-in with me, away from the NICU! So she got all unhooked and is sleeping peacefully within arms reach of me right now.
The other good news is that the hospital granted me permission to use one of their courtesy rooms so that I could be here with Hannah (I was actually discharged today) for the remainder of her stay.
Her IV did fall out - apparently she has "bad veins" and they had a heck of a time finding a vein for her first port, so they spent an hour today poking around trying to get her IV set up again but with no luck. Poor girl. Unfortunately they will have to give her injections of the antibiotics now (three injections at a time in her thigh) which is not exactly comfortable or ideal, but this is their only other option.
Things are looking up. Though we were fearful we knew that she was in God's care and He would take care of her. We still have some answers we need to hear, but for tonight we're grateful for what we've heard and just looking at her, we know she'll be ok.
Thank you all and love to you - your thoughts mean everything.
Jessica, David, Blaine and Hannah Grace"
She is rooming in with me but at the present moment they've taken her back to the NICU for her injections and an assessment. They'll bring her back afterwards (probably pretty cranky!) I really need to get my sleep (I think I am working on only 5 hours over the last 48) but am starting to be more aware of my own pain from delivery and need to learn how to manage that better. I think I'll lay down now though and get some rest.
Here are a few more pictures from Hannah's first few days.
No comments:
Post a Comment