Thursday, February 18, 2010

A good post on Love

I've been thinking a lot about love lately. (I guess Valentine's Day and the beginning of Lent have sparked these thoughts of mine.) The love I have for David, my sweet Blaine and our unborn baby girl and then there is the renewed and healing love that some close to me have found. Love is awesome and it's hard work. It's more than a feeling. So much more. I think Billy Coffey's blog post: Love is a Misshaped Tree really gets to an important point.

"It was Harry Sparks who first told me the love between a father and mother was like a misshaped tree, and therefore different and better than all other love. Boyfriend and girlfriend, husband and wife, and lover and lover? They didn’t know what love was, Harry said. Not really, anyway. Because their trees were tall and straight and perfect.

I didn’t understand a word of what he told me, of course. I was eighteen at the time and in the throes of the sort of love that poets and philosophers had always tried to define but never quite managed. I didn’t know what sort of tree my girlfriend and I had. I didn’t think it mattered. I walked away from Harry thinking he’d either had one too many drinks or one too many kids. I wasn’t sure which was worse, but I was sure I wasn’t going to find out." (to finish reading this post, click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment