You can't tell by the picture... But, what a day it's been! Ugh. It started out great, but slowly turned into a mess. Literally. Read on... I'll start with last night - it rocked. David and I are in a new dream group. We're reading (for the third time), What To Do With the Rest of Your Life: Awakening and Achieving Your Unspoken Dreams, and we're working on our dreams with 6 other people. The small group is led by none other than J. Keith Miller - my boss and the author of the book. When we were in a dream group the first time, some amazing things happened in our life and some amazing things happened in other people's lives. David and I think this process is life-changing and we're grateful to be a part of another group. Anyway, last night was great. We got home, enjoyed a solid 8 hours of sleep in our oh-s0-comfy Tempur-Pedic bed and woke up for our busy Saturday at 7:18 am... (Blaine was our alarm this morning.)
The day started out at Gymboree - a fun little gym where Blaine can meet some girls and work on his biceps. He had so much fun and David and I enjoyed watching him do new things and make new friends. We left there at 10:00 (precisely Mister Man's nap time) and I'm thinking, "This is sure to be long nap today..." Well, one of the little sweethearts must have slipped Blaine some stay-awake-and-be-crazy pills because the last thing this kid was going to do was sleep. I put him down at 10:15 and then finally at 12:15 decided that his screaming and fit-throwing was about all I could handle, so he won, I lost - and I got him out of his crib. Well, what happened in between 10:15 and 12:15, you might ask? Let me tell you. First, throughout these two hours I attempted to help Blaine by 1. nursing him, 2. patting his butt, 3. rubbing his head, 4. doing all of the above and 5. letting him throw anything that was loose out of his crib and then listen to him scream at the top pf his lungs because his pacifier was across the room, his blanket was out of reach and his black stuffed dog (Shadow) was lying in the corner upside down after being thrown against the wall. If you're a Mom and you're reading this - please don't judge my actions... I mean, I get that he has issues sleeping because of how we put him down when he was little and I get that if I always go in and pick up what he's thrown out of his crib, he knows that sooner or later I'm going to come pick it up... but I have run out of ideas. I've done it like the book, I've done it like the pediatrician told me to, I did it like that Mom did it and this Mom did it, and I've done it my way and he just pretty much does whatever he wants, when he wants and napping is one area where this kid will not give in. Blaine is the most inconsistent (and stubborn) baby I've ever known in my life. (Can you feel how tired this makes me???) Anyway, back to today... while he was screaming his head off, I was attempting to make lemon bars for a party we had to go to tonight. I decided to make them in a flimsy metal pan that could be thrown away after we used it. As I was putting the lemon bars into the oven, the container bent and all the lemony-eggy-watery liquid went pouring on to the inside of the door of the oven, inside the oven and then on to the ground, and inside the drawer on the bottom of oven. I stood there in awe, with the background noise of a howling baby, wondering why the he** I decided to use the stupid flimsy metal pan when I could've used glass. After throwing around some words I can't write here, I quickly realized that the lemon bars were now cooking on the oven door and inside the oven and that every pan I had in the drawer below was covered in lemon-filling. Great. Long story short (can you believe this is the short version?) I went in to wipe the snot from Blaine's nose, lay him down (again), and then came back out to start the clean up. I'll finish the day with a list, so as not to bore you with the gory details.
- Blaine got up and ran around the house and refused to sit still for even a moment. He took one 45 minute nap today.
- We drove downtown to sell a bunch of our old clothes at a thrift shop, only to find that everyone else in Austin was doing the exact same thing and even if we waited the 45 minutes, it was pretty likely they were only going to take one to two of our items. Long drive. Blaine in car seat. Wasted Gas. Bad idea.
- It's confirmed. I am allergic to white gold. My wedding ring is white gold. Hence, I can no longer where my wedding ring. This is extremely bothersome and has been a really hard adjustment. When we have some extra money (make that, a lot of extra money) I'll get a new wedding ring.
- I could not go to the party tonight because Blaine was exhausted early (because of the whole non-napping thing) and was throwing a fit in the car, so I sent David with the dessert to have a good time :(
- I can't write any more. My fingers hurt.
Tomorrow is bound to be a good day :)
Allergies to gold and platinum are more common than I realized. You're the fifth person I learned about the last couple of weeks that is or has become allergic.
ReplyDelete