Thursday, September 2, 2010

Oh, not MY child!

But oh yes... Today we got our first call from the Principal! Well, not really, but close enough. Blaine's Montessori school teacher called me this afternoon and requested a parent-teacher conference. Good Lord, I thought I had a few more years before this would start but my adorable 2 and a 1/2 year old is having some problems so here we go.

It's nothing new to us (and frankly, nothing new to them) but apparently we're on the verge of getting kicked out of our first school (well, that might be a stretch) so next Wednesday is D-Day.

Other parents have remarked, "oh, my child has tantrums too" or "he's just a little hyper" but I know it is just to make me feel better. The main problem and the focus of our upcoming meeting: Aggression. "Oh, you mean when other parents pick their kids up at school they aren't pummeled with gravel from the playground?" "Hmmm, I thought that was the way toddlers welcomed their parents after a long day at work." Or, wait - "you mean to tell me that Blaine's peers don't scream at their mothers from atop the playscape 'NOOOO MAMA! GO AWAY!' and then proceed to take the water bottle in their hand and chuck it at their newborn sister's head?" "Interesting...."

You get the point.

Well, I know one thing for sure: God will not give David and I anything we can't handle. I'll keep you updated on our "handling" of this situation.

2 comments:

  1. Of all people--you will definitely do great at handling whatever comes your way. I was very glad to hit public school where children could no longer be kicked out!!

    I have read quite a bit about how absolutely wonderful montessori programs are just not always the best match for kids needing a lot of structure. But they also might have some great ideas for helping the little one.

    Good luck & great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Olivia! We have talked a lot (lately) about how montessori might not be right for Blainem but we're going to give it a another month or so. Mainly since all the good programs are filled up now! Grrrr :( We're going to keep truckin. But today was a success and we're working on one day at a time. Progress, not perfection :)

    ReplyDelete