Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday... already?!

Where did this week go? It was the weekend and now it's Thursday, all of a sudden. Well, I'll work backwards (because I am crazy like that).

I had my 36 week appointment today and I was 1 cm dilated (woo-hoo!) but really that means nothing except that my body has already had a baby and is just doing its thing. I have 4 more weeks, officially, but it could be 6 more weeks (God, please NO!) if Hannah is not ready. I won't go back until May 28th for my 38 week appointment and they'll check me again. Boy, am I ever READY though. I am swollen in places I didn't know I had, I have constant backaches, headaches, and belly aches. It's lovely. Oh, she is healthy and I am (plump) and healthy... so all is well. Blaine is very excited to have "Hannah come over" and asks every day when she'll be here. He kisses and hugs my belly and says the sweetest things. We think he's going to be the best brother!

We recently decided that we are going to hire a doula. For those of you that are like, "a do-what"? I know, it's crazy, but after our first experience we decided that this is a good decision for us and we have the support of our family, which has been awesome. Here is some information on doulas from the
DONA International website:

What is a doula?
The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.


Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.

A Birth Doula
Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
Stays with the woman throughout the labor
Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decision
Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience
Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level
A birth doula certified by DONA International is designated by the initials CD(DONA).
Research evidence shows that the quality services of a postpartum doula can ease the transition that comes with the addition of a baby to a family, improve parental satisfaction and reduce the risk of mood disorders.

We have interviewed one doula in person, one on the phone and are meeting with two more tonight. I am pretty confident that we'll be able to make a decision by Friday evening. The woman I spoke to on the phone yesterday came highly recommended, has attended over 400 births and has won awards for her service as a doula. She told me that she was a "doula before their were doulas!" Lol. We'll keep you updated on this.

We also have a meeting with Blaine's new teacher today. We have decided to transition him from the MDO/Nanny-share situation into a part-time Montessori program. We are going to miss our nanny, Chrissy, and the other family (the Pembertons) SOOOO much but think this is a really good move for Mister. He'll start going to Hawthorne Montessori on Monday May 24th from 8:30 - 3:00, Monday through Thursday. We will add Fridays if he really likes it and it works out with my work schedule.

Going back to the weekend now. We had Marie (Mimi) and Jeff (Pops) in town. We celebrated Mother's Day and Marie's birthday over several days. We kicked the weekend off with a BBQ at our house on Friday night. Aunt Marcia, Jeff, Marie and the Pemberton crew came over. (This was kind of like the "last" supper for Kari... she went into labor about 9:00 pm Friday night! I told her to slow down on that Pok-e-jo's potato salad...) Saturday, William was born and Marie cooked a fabulous roast with all the fixins. (Yes, I know, how sad... Marie cooked her own birthday/mother's day meal... but she wanted to!) We did get her an apple pie (Mmmmm) and BlueBell ice cream, so we kind of did our part. Blaine helped make some noise with the noise maker and blow out the candles. He had a fun weekend getting a ton of attention from Mimi and Pops. Sunday we enjoyed a phenomenal mother's day service at Gateway and Marie (once again) cooked for us. Good thing she enjoys cooking.

I have not posted anything in so long I don't really remember what I've said and what I haven't. Plus, my brain doesn't really operate anymore. All these weird hormones have been making me forget things - like "why I am standing here staring in the fridge?" or "now, where was I going". It's terrible. I don't even really know where this post is going.

Anyway, Happy (belated) Mother's Day to all you mothers and mothers to be. I have two friends due next week, a friend had a baby last week and myself and another friend are due next month. Don't drink the water we've been drinking! Thanks to Mimi and Pops for spending the weekend with us and now I need to go and figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.





This is Siri giving her new baby brother, William, a kiss. What a sweet picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment